Thread: Sword + Dodging

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE

Sword + Dodging

One of the reasons I haven't been playing my Ranger much is that I find it really difficult to dodge when using a sword in the mainhand. I really like the skills, especially paired with dagger, but the way it forces my character to move has made me take some bad hits if I try to dodge mid-way through.

Any solutions to this? Or at least anyone else suffering through it?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I'll keep an eye on that next time I play my ranger... I haven't played it much at all though...
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

It's a weird play style, that's for sure. I have just gotten used to using the skills to protect myself, and fortunately sword/dagger has decent built in defense.

I can only take so much of the sword auto attack before I take a break and use the great sword. If it weren't for the awkward auto attack, sword/dagger would be one of my favorite weapon sets on any class.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Yeah, I feel the same. Sword/dagger is awesome. I love the evade / leap skill on the sword + the dagger throw. Hit 2, hit 5, hit 2 again.

Current solution is turning off the auto, but I see it as more of a workaround.

If this issue is given a look, I might take up the sword, otherwise bad or not, GS will still be my main weapon.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album pictures1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    So what exactly is the issue? How does the weapon combo make it harder to dodge? /total-ranger-noob-someone-please-explain-this-to-me

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Raye Lestrange View Post
    So what exactly is the issue? How does the weapon combo make it harder to dodge? /total-ranger-noob-someone-please-explain-this-to-me
    Sword skills move you by themselves. Pounce is a leap attack (3rd auto-attack skill); Hornet Sting evades backwards, Hornet sting is another leap back into the fight and Serpent's Strike does an evasive roll around the back.

Actually, Ranger sword does so many movements and evades, that you don't have to dodge yourself most of the time. If you dodge at the same time you can evade too far or move out of range. Falling off platforms is also a big issue with swords, just by the fact that you move around so much.
    Personally I hardly use extra dodges, as the skills fool around with monster AI enough most of the time.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    It's not the Hornet Sting type skills that move when I activate them, it's the auto-attack sword skills that are the problem. The second and third skills (Kick and Pounce) both set you into a movement. Pounce is the worst because if you don't target an enemy or if your target dies and you hit 1 again without realizing, you fly off toward another enemy, which could agro more.

Ya, it's only the auto attack that gives me grief. I love the other movement skills. Not only can you not dodge while auto attacking, you can't even move. You're airborne 2/3rds of the time you're auto attacking.

Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Here's a decent video someone made of the problem. He shows himself trying to back away from the target, but the attacks pull him back in, then he repeats the same movements with Greatsword without any trouble.