PC Gaming News
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]

Design fail? Arah StoryMode

I recently completed my story apart from the last mission. Spoiler tags below because some people might not know how it is presented.

Spoiler

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    I think it is safe to say that your last personal story mission is to do the "Arah dungeon" as a story mode experience.
    I did not like the fact that I had to team up for two reasons:
    > I did it "rather late" and not a lot of people want to do it in story mode, so finding a PUG can be difficult (I did it with fiends in the end)
    > You could do all the other things alone. Why but a boundary on that one?
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    I see no need for spoiler tags on that. It is common knowledge that Arah is a dungeon and that dungeons require a party.

There are two stories running in parallel. One is your personal story. The other is the story of Destiny's Edge, which is played out in the dungeon stories beginning with Ascalon Catacombs. Arah is where the two stories come together for the climax. Perhaps it would have been better to bring Destiny's Edge into a personal story mission instead of running the personal story into a dungeon, but that might have made the climax a little less epic than it is in the current form.

ANet also has a habit of finding ways to force players out of their niches to experience other aspects of the game, such as by requiring mapping of both PvE and WvW zones for World Completion. None of the other dungeon stories are required to finish your personal story, so this is their way of forcing us to experience some group play that requires a little more coordination than some mindless ad-hoc zerg out in the persistent world. Not much more coordination, mind you, but just a little attention on who is taking care of the trash mobs and who is working on the main objective in a couple of encounters.

I don't think ANet anticipated the problems we have had finding groups for story mode, however. Hopefully they will be adding some decent LFG feature in the near future to change this. Meanwhile, I tried using gw2lfg.com and got a group together in an amazingly short time (maybe 15-20 min) compared to the other dungeon stories where it sometimes took me an hour or more of standing around LA.

I'm still not convinced I ever want to try a dungeon in explorable mode, since some of those stories were blasted hard by my standards. (Yes, SE, I'm looking at YOU.) However, Arah turned out to be a real hoot, and I had a great time doing it. The January patch apparently changed it to remove the most annoying effect from a couple of the battles, which should make it even more fun when my other characters are ready to do it.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    The 5-man thing I can live with, especially with LFG website and the in-game LFG and guildies... If players can't find a group by endgame, they need to learn how to.

What bugged me about that mission is
    Spoiler
    . I thought this thread would be about this.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Achievements:
    10 Posts1 year registered1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Guild

Veritas Invictus
    My '2' button likes being pushed. No skill involved.

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    I spent ages looking for a group, using GW2LFG (empty in Europe for Arah) and guesting to other servers. Eventually found one. The dungeon was fun at some parts, but damn, half of it was waiting for something to happen. And Alaris, indeed. Probably the most anticlimatic way to do it was that way.

The weird thing is, every time I've done this mission, I found the two bosses before the final boss to be a lot tougher. You've got enemies all over the place, and we were even forced to retreat.
    Spoiler
    But then you get to the final boss, and it does absolutely nothing. You fire the gun at him for a very long time, till he dies... in a cut scene where someone else blows him up... and Destinies Edge takes most of the credit... Ugh....