PC Gaming News
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT

Targetting (again) - closest enemy (or neutral, I guess) - still broken? Is it a bug?

Since I haven't been playing for some time now (probably not as long as I believe it to be), I'm talking more ignorantly than usual.

Is targetting closest enemy (next enemy? Not sure what exactly the description says, but I'm sure you know what I mean) still targetting the next enemy in a straight line, instead of the actually closest enemy?

If so, is there any reason to believe that will be changed any time? I.e. is that intended behaviour and I'm merely too stupid/ignorant/pampered by other games/whatever to understand why it's so much better than it was in GW1?
    Or is it indeed a ridiculous bug that should actually have been reason enough to delay the game since targetting (and aggroing) neutral yellows that can one-shot you isn't really helpful or even making sense.

Having just experienced what screw-ups other game companies do (in this case, Eve online, CCP, new AI behaviour regarding Drones), I'm once more thinking about going back to GW2.
    They did do several things right, and there is no monthly fee...

It targets the closest enemy in front of you. It feels intuitive to me but I'm not sure I can articulate why.

I highly recommend binding a key to look behind you without turning around.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Piken Square
    Guild

WHGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffball View Post
    It targets the closest enemy in front of you.
    How "in front"? 90 straight angle and nothing else?

I highly recommend binding a key to look behind you without turning around.
    Definitely, but I'm not talking about enemies behind me. They're a separate problem. I mean an enemy that is close to my left and pounding on my soft, barely protected skull. Yet whenever I tried to target it, I instead got an enemy that was twenty meters from me and not doing anything. Until I attacked it, of course.

[edit]Is it just me, or do others also experience "database errors" when posting?

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I get database errors too. And the silver code line.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    How "in front"? 90 straight angle and nothing else?
    No, in front like a half circle. It's close to, if not the exact angle of being able to attack the target, i.e. you can't use most skills on enemies at a certain point "behind" you. Maybe that's why it feels so intuitive to me. If you can automatically target it, you can attack it.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyberman View Post
    [edit]Is it just me, or do others also experience "database errors" when posting?
    Yes it is a recent error. We are investigating the problem!
    IGN Bark N Mad. Officer in The Order of Dii [Dii]

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteran1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Aurora Glade[EU]
    Guild

Lore School[GWen]
    Is not closest enemy in front of you. Is closest enemy visible on the screen. If right behind you there is an enemy you can see, closest enemy key will target that. If you don't move and you zoom in enough that you can't see the enemy, it will target the closest enemy in front of you, or which ever enemy is closest to you and still visible on the screen. Basically if with current camera position you can't target an enemy by clicking with your mouse then closest enemy key will ignore it no mater how close it is.

Targeting has been broken since launch, and it has gotten progressively worse with various updates. It also seems to affect various skills differently, depending on their range. For example, medium range skills such as Life Siphon often ignore the closest target (even if he is right in front of you), and targets an enemy out of range instead.

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger10000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

far shiverpeak
    Guild

the legendary alterans
    i rather have them set the target system exactly as how GW1 has it, i really don't give a crap about realism right now, i can't even attack one enemy without it constantly de-selecting on me.
    it's alive but cannot be living, it's dead but lives a mortal life.

sorudo.9054