PC Gaming News

Thread: New player

New player

Hello! I'm new player. I'm thinking what is the best profession for Guardian playing PvE?

GWOnline Site Pal Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts1000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Isle of Janthir
    Guild

The Fuzzy Physics Institute
    Guardian is a profession. Are you asking about crafting disciplines?

If so, you can choose two. I would certainly recommend Armorsmith as one of them. For the second, Weaponsmith is a good choice since you will be able to make most of your own weapons that way. Jeweler and Chef are good for any profession, but I don't think either is a great choice for a first character. You will have access to decent jewelry from personal story rewards and karma merchants as you level up, so you don't really need to fuss about getting just the right accessories until you hit level 80. It's more important to get your armor and weapons right first. Likewise there isn't a real need for consumables while leveling in PvE.

If I've misunderstood your question, please clarify it for me.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteranCreated Blog entry10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    BrettM gave some good recommendations... so I have nothing to add except I support his recommendations.

Also, I think that you'll probably end up richer if you don't level a craft and just live off the land or even buy items from the TP. But I am crafting anyway just to say I have each craft maxed.
    == Alaris & clone ==
    Proud Officer of The Order Of Dii [Dii] - join us
    You can tell the quality of life of people by what they complain about

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    ...BrettM gave some good recommendations...
    ... you'll probably end up richer if you don't level a craft...
    Since I agree with both of the above posts I would like to give another slant on how to choose the crafting disiplines. You should be doing your dailies as much as possible, since they are relatively easy, quick, and give good rewards. Since 2 of the easiest tasks that are now commonly found in dailies are gather 20 items and craft 10 items, you could base your disiplines on that. The easiest and quickest things to gather are wood and metal. There are quite a few disiplines that let you refine ANY wood with no extra cost, so just choose one of them. If you pick huntsman you get refinement of wood and also leather. Refining ANY metal without cost can only be done in jewelrymaking, but it also lets you take lower level gems and along with dust turn them into higher level gems.

This may not be the best way to pick a disipline, but it is something to think about. Also we do not know yet if crafting or gathering are going to be in the dialies after the "pick an achievement" dailies begin on February 26th.

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    Jewelcrafting is generally expensive though, not recommended for beginners. Even the game warns you about this when you adopt it. If your intent is only for refining, perhaps, but even then you'll quickly be stuck either levelling the craft up, or crafting stuff for lower levels using materials you no longer find.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Jewelcrafting is generally expensive though, not recommended for beginners. Even the game warns you about this when you adopt it. If your intent is only for refining, perhaps, but even then you'll quickly be stuck either levelling the craft up, or crafting stuff for lower levels using materials you no longer find.
    I just now started the jeweler disipline on an alt with no disiplines selected previously and was given no warning about cost. In fact I now have all the disiplines selected on alts and the only one that I remember a cost warning from is cooking. It also is telling that the jeweler master has nothing crafting specific to sell except recipes for rare and exotic items that start at jeweler level 175. Besides this the material this profession uses is metals from gathering/drops/salvaging, jewels from gathering/drops/salvaging/crafting, dust from drops/salvaging, or ectos from drops/salvaging.

As far as finding low level materials they can always be found in gathering/salvaging/drops from the appropriate level area. Besides gathering these materials I always go for foes that drops bags (i.e. bandits, centaurs, and skritt in Queensdale).

GWOnline Content Team
    GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii]
    I could be wrong about jewelry, it's been a while.
    == Alaris & clone ==

Yes, I mean crafting ;) Sorry for mistake - i played WOW a long time ;)

The first two posts covered it pretty well. A couple more things to consider:

1) Each zone has a full set of karma masterwork gear appropriate for your level at the hearts. Weapons, armor and jewelry, so you'll never be needing equipment if you do hearts. (masterwork < rare < exotic, but the differences are negligible until you're perfecting your level 80.)

2) Crafting is a lot of fun for some people. You'll probably want to max all of them across a few characters if you like it.