PC Gaming News
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guild Upgrades

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered

Guild Upgrades

Two questions:

1. Which ones do you like to maintain for PVE and WvW?

2. How exactly do some of these things work? I haven't done anything with this stuff, but I sometimes see a consumable upgrade available (like a 10% Magic Find Banner for example). If I use it does it make a banner wherever I am standing at the time? If I use it does that mean that it's used up and no one else can use it or does every member of the guild get to use it and if so, how long does it stay available? I checked the wiki, guru and here but didn't find anything explaining this stuff and I don't like to waste resources on trial and error when I know people who already know the answer.

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    2. Banners can be activated by guild members with the right to do so. They will spawn at your location and remain there for 30min, being available to anyone that touches it (e.g. the MF find banner can be placed at the entrance to a dungeon and will be there - on that server - for the next half an hour). Banners can be stockpiled, while other boosts can only be made once and can be researched again, after they have been activated. Guild boosts work only on your server! So if you activate a Gathering Boosts on SBI, it will not affect guild members on other servers.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Point two is already explained by Gorani.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeDVD View Post
    Two questions:

1. Which ones do you like to maintain for PVE and WvW?
    About the guild upgrades, whenever I think of it, I try to activate the 3 day MF boost. I'll queue the next one immediately again. I've not yet planted any banners... Maybe we should research a few and have some ready, especially once guesting goes live...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

[GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Rhonwyn View Post
    About the guild upgrades, whenever I think of it, I try to activate the 3 day MF boost. I'll queue the next one immediately again. I've not yet planted any banners... Maybe we should research a few and have some ready, especially once guesting goes live...
    Well, this weekend you forgot...but we can cope.

The MF boost costs 500 Influence. If your guild can regain those points due to activity & log-ins, I would say try to activate it at peak times (which is usually from Friday to Sunday over the weekend). If your guild has Influence in abundance, activate one more.
    Do not forget you might want to save for level upgrades too.

On banners: They are pretty cheap, so keeping 3 of each kind (leave Road Markers for WvW) in stock is a good idea. If you plan things together as a guild, e.g. a map exploration or a dungeon, activate them when at least 3 people of your guild are involved. Giving a boost to PUGs that fill up the group is a good way to advertise your guild too.
    Gorani's Guild Wars legacy & the Kurzick Poet NPC in GW1
    * Member of [GWO] & The Zoo Crew * Everything about the Elementalist on the forums *
    Gaile Gray: "See Gorani's post, I note several ideas that might be doable and that seem very logical."

Moderator Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points1,000 Posts10K PostsBlogger
    Server

Aurora Glade
    Guild

GWOnline [GWO]
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorani View Post
    On banners: They are pretty cheap, so keeping 3 of each kind (leave Road Markers for WvW) in stock is a good idea. If you plan things together as a guild, e.g. a map exploration or a dungeon, activate them when at least 3 people of your guild are involved. Giving a boost to PUGs that fill up the group is a good way to advertise your guild too.
    Good point... I queued some...
    Lady Rhonwyn (sister of Danea, Katlinel, Gwendydd, and the rest)
    Guild leader of GWOnline [GWO]
    "Kind of a big mouth", "People Know Me, whether they like it or not", "I'm very vocal", "I wrote many leather bound books", "My Guild Hall is the forum", "Goddess posting amongst mere mortals" (courtesy of Cardinal Cyn)

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts10000 Experience Points
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

The Order Of Dii [Dii]
    Stockpiling banners is a good idea. We try to keep 3-5 of each on hand.

We like to keep at least the 10%MF one up all the time, and add some other random boosts during the weekend. Try to time the dungeon one with guild outings.

The Karma booster is good, since it affects jug-drinking gain. Do not have to have it up all the time though (basically people save up jugs for a while, then drink them all under the boost. Time with max WvW boosts + Karma gain consumables for maximum effect).

WvW boosters I could not say for sure, but afaik it is mostly the siege stuff that is actually used. This since it allows you to siege for less cost, which is more useful than the small fort bonuses.

In general, remember to queue a replacement whenever you activate a boost. Makes everything so much easier to manage. Most general boosts are researched in the same time that the boost lasts or less (if not spending to decrease build time) so a good habit to have.
    Last edited by Lensor; 27-01-2013 at 13:34.
    IGN Bark N Mad. Leader of The Order of Dii [Dii]

GWOnline Site Pal
    Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranBlogger1,000 Posts6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Guild

Blinkie Ponie Armie [BPA]
    I keep up the MF boost all the time, as long as I remember to push to the button and re-queue the thing. Will generally have the other buffs like gathering, influence, xp, etc up over the weekend too.

The main WvW boosts we use is the +5 supply one, as everyone loves extra supply. And it's generally not a bother if that supply camp gets flipped. We'll just take it back, wait a few mins and re-claim it. We have a full set of fort buffs queued up too for times we need a keep claimed but our guild hasn't really had much need of that as the larger guilds will generally use theirs. Though late mid-week we'll pop it and keep the server happy. Mmm. Buffs.

And then just make sure that people are grouped up for stuff so we can get influence in at a decent rate to be able to restock some of the buffs. We'll speed-build some things if necessary. We've popped the Guild catapult one for use when we've wanted to take a tower and there's only a very small number of us. Teehee.

If you have any guild events, even if it's just 5 of you clearing a zone or whatever it's great to pop banners. Put them in a public place like Lion's Arch and have guildies, even if they're not coming along, get use of the banners. And announce it to map chat. People will love you for it :D
    :: Khorren [BPA] :: [SF] :: The sun never sets in the Quarry ::
    :: Unofficial JQ welcome wagon ::

Achievements:
    Server

Gunnar's Hold
    Guild

[LLS] [OX] [GRIF]
    Banners: Maximum you can stock is 5 of each type. MF banners are great for dropping outside dungeons, Karma banners are great if you want extra karma from jugs, and gathering banners + southsun cove = fun.

General boosts: if your guild has got the ability, most people appreciate having the +MF for 3 days one active as much as possible - you can research another one as soon as you activate the first, and it is built in less time than the active one runs for, so if you have the influence to spare, you can keep it active all the time.

WvW boosts: the +supply one is good for the team, having 15 supply instead of 10 can make a big difference.

I'm a guild leader, my guildies are mostly idle so-n-so's, who only play occasionally. I earn the bulk of the influence, so I decide how to spend it. Mostly at the moment that consists of running the +MF for 3 days boost, and dropping +MF banners outside of dungeons if I'm dungeoning, because at 800K+ karma, I don't really need more karma right now, and I've not been doing so much WvW recently due to, amusingly enough, my server doing too well in our tier, so the opposition stopped showing up in any decent number. Not much point in researching WvW buffs in that case.

GWOnline Content Team Achievements:

Makes more sense now. Good suggestions too.

Thanks a bunch!

Achievements:
    Social10 PostsVeteran10K Posts1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    I have a guild of my own, which I created primarily for bank space. Wintersday filled my bank to capacity (and then some) so I even had some characters acting as mules. Bleh. I wanted to hold some random bits and goodies, and didn't really want to spend gems, so... one silver later and poof! Bank guild.

It took a bit to get the influence for the vault, but I also did some other messing around while I was doing that. Played a bit with banners and such, and it really wasn't difficult to get the influence for this -- even with just me in the guild. I should mention that I was a little impatient and spent some gold on influence, but with Wintersday I also got a number of influence items from the gifts. I'm currently saving up for the Architecture level 4 so I can expand the vault to 100 slots, a bit over half way there (and of course then I'll have to save to do the expansion).

Short version -- doesn't take much to get the influence to see how this all works.