PC Gaming News
    Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]

Kralkatorrik and the Searing

I don't know if this is established lore or not, but I'll go ahead and state something that seems rather obvious to me once you think about it.

On the GWWiki page of the 'Cauldron of Cataclysm', it says
    It is said that the magic powering the cauldron was older than even the Titans, powered by beings who had long ago fallen into sleep.
    'Beings who had long ago fallen into sleep' and that are old. One can easily see the link to the dragons.

Not only that, but the searing caused crystals to fall from the sky and turn water into tar. This is about the same effect Kralkatorrik had on the regions of Ascalon he flew over.

Finally, the wiki also states that
    There appears to be a copy of the Cauldron in the Crystal Overlook.
    . Kralkatorrik flew to the Crystal Desert. This is probably the weakest link between the two, but maybe he wants to protect this cauldron so that it isn't used against his will, like the one used in the Searing?

Is this plausible at all?

Administrator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran10000 Experience Points6 months registered10K Posts
    Server

Kaineng
    Guild

Dii, TRUE
    Oh snap, the "beings that fell into sleep" is a pretty big hint. ANet isn't usually the type to retcon or explain things away, so you may be right.

The crystal were a different color, but I don't think that's too big a deal. That could be because of the ritual the Flame Legion used.
    Follow us on Twitter and be our friend on Facebook!

Moderator Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteran1,000 Posts5000 Experience Points6 months registered
    Server

Jade Quarry
    Yeah, makes a lot of sense, but I'm not sure if I saw any tars in the shattered regions. They have those crystalized boils, but not the tar I think. So I think the tarring might be due to Flame Legion magic, but I don't doubt that the cauldron is related to Kralkatorrik.

Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    The crystal were a different color, but I don't think that's too big a deal. That could be because of the ritual the Flame Legion used.
    The crystals have the same basic purply-magenta color. I believe Kralkatorrik crystals are more glossy with purply-magenta color while the Flame Legion crystals had rougher, aurora surface. This difference could well be due to the Flame Legion magic.
    ----------------------------satomz----------------------------
    -------------Fan Arts of all Types & Guild & Alliance Matchup & GW1-------------

Achievements:
    100 Posts10 PostsVeteranBlogger5000 Experience Points
    Server

Gandara
    Guild

Salvation of Tyria [SoT]
    There are several tar elementals in the Branded Mine jumping puzzle, but that might be a coincidence. It's been 5 months since I've been to a branded region, so I'd have to check.

Achievements:
    10 PostsVeteranCreated Album picturesCreated Blog entry1,000 Posts
    Server

Tarnished Coast
    Guild

The Order of Dii [Dii], Do Not Revive Asura [Ever], When Zergs Collide [CERN]
    That is a pretty cool theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Guided Daggers View Post
    Finally, the wiki also states that
    There appears to be a copy of the Cauldron in the Crystal Overlook.
    . Kralkatorrik flew to the Crystal Desert. This is probably the weakest link between the two, but maybe he wants to protect this cauldron so that it isn't used against his will, like the one used in the Searing?
    There are at least 4 or 5 Searing Cauldrons used by the charr. Three or four can be found in Straits of Devastation surrounding the Vizier's Tower's island. The other being the Cauldron of the Searing, the main/only cauldron to cause the Searing.

There's far more than what you posted, and the Crystal Overlook cauldron only implies a group of charr may have marched south to cause a Searing in Elona like they planned to do to Orr.

Firstly, in the latter personal story depending on your choices, you learn that the Flame Legion shamans enchanted these cauldrons. While the Cauldron of Cataclysm was given by the titans, the others are charr-made.

Secondly, the Searing Effigy fought in Citadel of Flames uses purple flame and crystal, akin to the Dragonbrand. Similarly, we can see two situations of "mini-Searings" (supposedly these are "more controlled" than The Searing) with similar purple flame and crystal.

Thirdly, the two surviving Searing Crystals from The Searing are now purple in color, oddly enough.

While not said point-blank, it's hard to not imagine these cauldrons were enchanted with magic seeping from Kralkatorrik as he slept.

Where does the "it is said that ..." comment come from? Is it stated anywhere in game?

Read "The Ecology of the Charr" on the GW2 wiki.